They Came Therefore I Conquer

Thursday, January 17, 2008

We cannot imagine in our day in age where one person can spark a revolution in innovation. You look at modern day marvels and see Steve Jobs, Bill Gates or Sergey Brin and to the left of them are their accomplices and... lawyers. Not many seem to conquer alone.

The largest problem behind innovation is that our Patent System prevents it from happening to well. People use it for purposes that it was not meant for, in fact, quite oppesite. Questionable and broad details on ideas are patented all the time. These obviously broad descriptions keep others from being able to design something even as simple as Check Out. Copyright is also abused in ways that are unimaginable. TechDirt.com is strong supporter of fair use and the open sourced ideas of expanding on current ideas or innovating. They are definitely one of my favorite feeds.

Protections like DRM and DMCA are nullifying their intended purpose. An innocent person can become a criminal in RIAA's eye without even realizing it. That is only a minute example. Corporations all over the world tend to cling to obsolete business models that are not only destroying themselves but causing innovation to hold itself back. You may think that I am rambling or bemusing myself with pretty words from the Wikitionary, but I give these statements as my injecture to society. We need to fight against those who fall hopeless to new technology; those who cannot adapt. It is survival of the fittest in cyberspace and its only getting faster.

I may not be able to establish a genuine idea of my pure creativity, but I can definitely make other stuff better. Call me unoriginal, but...
I innovate. What do you do?

Posted by KarnEdge at 3:07 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment